Wednesday 21 November 2012

Rise Against sending out a prayer for the refugee

Hey guys, it’s Tuesday so I’m back with another cover. My apologies with the lack of postings on both my Facebook and Twitter pages but I’ve been caught up with so many other assignments for my other various classes. To top it all off, within five minutes of turning my guitar amp on this morning, I believe it blew through another fuse so I will not be posting an electric guitar cover today as I was meaning to. I’ve also changed up the song I will be covering as the one I had planned does not come through that cleanly on the acoustic unless I do some more tinkering around but I am going to be doing one by the same band either way.

The band I will be covering this week is none other than the explosive power house known as Rise Against. I have been following this band from very early on in their career and it has been quite something to hear them put out consistent great material. From very early on in their career they have found their signature sound and stuck with it. This sound is a common feature found in many punk bands but I do not believe any band executes it as well as Rise Against. In their early days they had more of a straight-up up beat punk rock sound. The appealing factor, for me at least, was the use of octave melodies and harmonies. They are found everywhere throughout their songs earning them a classification as a melodic punk rock band in my books. They have influenced my style of guitar playing immensely because every time I try to put together a song of my own I am always thinking ahead to the part of what octave melodies can I throw into it just so it can have that extra catchy hook.

Rise Against has gone through a handful of guitarists throughout their career. They are currently on their fourth guitarist. Every guitarist has in a way respected the band’s signature sound that they have come to be known for and contributed to the writing process by embracing that sound. The band’s lyrical content has always revolved around political topics and individual hardships. They are not afraid to criticize wrongdoings and always stand up for what they believe in. Every member of the band is a vegetarian and they have supported PETA’s mission in bringing awareness to the disgustingly unjust treatment of animals before they are made into our meals. They have opened up my eyes to it and is one of the main reasons I have been a vegetarian for the past seven years.

The song I have chosen to cover this week rather than the planned one is Prayer of the Refugee. In a nutshell, the meaning behind the song is a message against the practices America partakes in to fuel their capitalist society. The song has soft verses following a repeated guitar riff and explodes into aggressive choruses. The band plays the song in an E flat tuning but I play it in a drop D tuning since it is less work to tune just one string down rather than tuning all of them down. Refer to my blog covering the Billy Talent song if you would want to know how to tune down to drop D. The riff throughout the intro and verse simply involves playing a D# on the G string along with an F# on the B and switching the F# to an F. Listen to the song to figure out the rhythm but it’s fairly straight forward. The backing chord progression for the verses is D#, B, C#, G#, D#, B, F#, back to D# and then repeat. The chorus follows a similar progression involving D#, F#, C# and B but I am playing what I believe to be the lead octaves also in the key of D#. The bridge of the song involves repeating G# and F# three times and then going down to E and D#. Those are pretty much all the parts of the song for the rhythm section but in my cover I am playing mainly the leads, or what I think the leads sound like.

I’ll try to find time to purchase some new fuses for my amp as I would really want to do the next cover on the electric as I think it will come through better on it. Until then I hope you guys have an amazing week and keep checking my other pages! Share with your friends! 


No comments:

Post a Comment