Wednesday 28 November 2012

Good Riddance to the semester..

Hey guys, this is the 12th post I am making for the blog. This marks the final post that I have to make to meet the requirements for the course I am taking. Regarding the future of the blog, I have yet to decide if I will be making more posts. Definitely I will be taking a break for the coming weeks due to exams and they are going to require my full concentration. There is a very good chance I will continue, perhaps not to write up a blog post, but for sure to record some more guitar covers as I love playing guitar and why not record a cover once in a while just for fun.

I have chosen to finish off my posts for the semester with a somewhat cheesy song for the last post. This band is probably one that needs no introduction as I am pretty sure all of you have heard at least one of their many singles, if not this one in particular. Green Day is one of the bands that have been credited with pioneering the pop-punk genre. They come from Berkeley, California and have been a band since 1987. Their breakthrough moment came in 1994 with the signing to a major record label, Reprise, and the release of their monumental album, Dookie. Over the years their sound has been evolving from a raw pop-punk sound to a more polished pop-punk sound. With every album they have put out, more and more of the songs from them have been featured on the radio.

The song I have covered by them is their ever popular single, Good Riddance (Time of your Life). This song has been covered by so many people on YouTube, has been the band’s encore song for so many of the shows they have performed and was even featured in an episode of Seinfeld and two episodes of ER. The song is a straight forward acoustic ballad with some violins in the bridge part of the song. For the guitar, the song is made up of a couple commonly used chord patterns; perhaps they are common because of how popular this song has gotten. The song is one of those songs that a person would begin learning the guitar simply to know how to play this song.

The first portion of the song is played by plucking out single notes out of the open chords. The intro and first portion of the verse follows a G, C and D chord progression. The second part of the verse and the bridge of the song follow an Em, D, C and G chord pattern. The chorus of the song is simply a repeat of Em and G 3 times but on the 3rd time it ends with a D instead of G. Those are all the parts to the song and my listening to it you will be able to fit it all into place.

For this cover video I chose not to play along to the song and just played by myself. There are a few slip ups here and there but hey, I’m just a sloppy guitarist. I hope you all have enjoyed reading these posts on what I have to say and have enjoyed my covers. I hope you all will still follow along with what I post on my various social media sites and I will be sure to let you all know if I plan on posting any new blogs or covers. Thank you all for helping me out this semester by checking out all the things I’ve posted and please share it with your friends if you think they’ll enjoy it too!


1 comment:

  1. Please.. Keep on what you are doing! :) If not for the blog, the atleast continue making youtube films! :D
    Love your covers!

    ReplyDelete