Tuesday 6 November 2012

Days go by for The Offspring


Tuesday, Tuesday, almost halfway to the weekend... This post will probably be the least substantial post out of the series since I am currently swamped with so many assignments and papers that I cannot afford to spend much time to talk about bands and songs that I like. I’m a huge procrastinator and it just seems the days go by; before you know it there’s another assignment and a due date just around the corner. As a forewarning, the guitar cover for this week is pretty sloppy; my apologies. I figured the song out in five minutes and I highly doubt it’s precise but it sounds fairly close. Enough with excuses though, let me introduce the band for this week: The Offspring. The Offspring have been around for as long as I can remember and they have always been putting out some of the catchiest material. One of the most impressive elements of the band in my opinion is how Dexter is able to hit those high notes singing all these years. Sure, the last couple years it has become shakier but that’s expected with age. However, he’s always been able to sing in such a high range and that is fairly uncommon for a punk rock band. The band is from Huntington Beach, California. Lead singer, Dexter and bassist, Greg K came to the decision to form a band after they were denied entry to a Social Distortion concert.

“Days go by” is the name of the first single off the Offspring’s latest album that also goes by the same name. The song is one of those sing-along songs with lyrics that are very easy to remember. The guitar riffs give it a very surf-punk feel. The song starts off with an intro riff that is played in the key of E followed by another variation of that riff which becomes the main riff in the song. The chord progression for the backing of the main riff is E, D, A, E and the verse follows the same progression. The progression for the chorus is D, A, E, B with every second repeat of the progression dropping out the B and letting the E play out longer. As I said before, I did not spend that much time on this song so there more than likely will be mistakes scattered through the cover and I left out parts because of the song being a 2-guitar song. I will post the next blog and guitar cover up next Tuesday so check back then!


PS. For those of you who do not know the different guitar chords, here is a great site where you can find out the various ways of playing different chords!



No comments:

Post a Comment